Thumb Nail Images

Carlos I McEvilly cim at c3serve.c3.lanl.gov
Fri Jan 12 14:32:55 EST 1996

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Thomas Dowling wrote:
>     giftoppm original.gif | pnmscale [options] | \
>         ppmtogif > thumbnails/newfile.gif
> (Caveat emptor: I haven't needed to do this myself, so I haven't
> actually tried it.)

I'd like to second Thomas' suggestion; we have actually done it
here and a good series of commands was:

tifftopnm file.tiff | pbmreduce -fs 27 | ppmtogif > file.gif

This produces monochrome thumbmails.  If you're coming from gifs to
start with, you need another step in front of this.

Another way that worked well was:

tifftopnm file.tif | pnmscale 0.04 | pnmdepth 1 | ppmtogif > file.gif

To see the result, look at http://www.c3.lanl.gov/inmm and
use "Browse" to look at a document.

Carlos McEvilly
cim at lanl.gov