PURLs -Reply -Reply

Vianne Sha Sha at law.missouri.edu
Mon Jan 8 10:21:56 EST 1996

I am sorry if somebody do not know what I am talking about.  Here's
some background information about my previous message.

OCLC has implemented PURL as a resolution to the persistence problem
of the URLs.  It helps maintaining the accuracy of URLs in our
catalog records.  I believe it will work well in our current
situation (I have NO intention in opposing OCLC's PURL scheme using
in InterCat project).

Since there is a URN resolution standard proposed in response to IETF
RFC 1737 (4 existing schemes as of December 95: Handle, x-dns-2, Path
URN, and OCLC), I wonder why OCLC does not implement the resolution
for one URN to a list of URLs extracted from a URC, which was
proposed as one of the resolution methods in the OCLC URN scheme?  In
the meantime, PURL's structure will work for InterCat.  However, in
the long run, it is better to have all URLs linked to one URN,
applying the concept of authority record.  OCLC's scheme is the most
flexible scheme that may work with other proposed schemes.  I would
like to see OCLC implement the best resolution.  Other proposed
schemes have their advantages and may work well in some settings.  If
OCLC can work with these groups to develop a comprehensive and
sophisticated scheme, we might have a standard to maintain the URLs.

Vianne Sha
sha at law.missouri.edu
University of Missouri-Columbia
School of Law Library

>>> D. Lindsey Martin <lmartin at LEO.VSLA.EDU>  1/6/96, 12:49pm >>>

Dear Ms. Sha:
   With all due respect, what in the world are you talking about?  I
would appreciate your enlightening the uninitiated!
--
D. Lindsey Martin
Technical Services Librarian

INTERNET: lmartin at leo.vsla.edu