PURLs

weibel at oclc.org weibel at oclc.org
Mon Jan 8 09:04:47 EST 1996

Richard Bondi writes:

> If the whole world, or a large part of it, started using PURLS, wouldn't the
> PURL servers become hopelessly overloaded? Isn't this a strong argument
> against PURLs?

There is no reason that PURL servers cannot be distributed widely, run
by organizations with a committment to maintaining persistent naming
schemes (Libraries, government organizations, publishers and others).
We expect to license our PURL tool set as it matures, and other
organizations can certainly develop their own as well.

In the meantime, OCLC will do whatever is necessary to support the
resolution requirements of PURLs.

The OCLC PURL Team

Erik Jul      jul at oclc.org
Eric Miller   emiller at oclc.org