w3launch and Netscape 2.0

Steve Godfrey staffSG4 at venus.gsd.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 22 16:16:37 EST 1996

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Peter C. Gorman wrote:

> >Is it possible to write an HTML link in a document that will invoke a
> >program other than the web browser through which the link is chosen?
>
> I have written a quick guide for how to do just that, at:
>
> "Launching CD-ROM or other applications from a Web browser"
> http://www.library.wisc.edu/help/tech/launch_info.html

Peter's approach, using w3launch, works great in conjunction with Netscape
1.2N.  But I can't get it to work with Netscape 2.0 (final release; the
platform is Windows 3.1 in both cases).  With Netscape 2.0, the errors
returned are "Unable to open the file for writing" and then "Failed to
create temp file!"  Is there anyone who can suggest solution, or a reason
why this might be happening in 2.0 and not 1.2?

Steve