Web page user statistics

E. Holtsmark holtsm at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 22 10:02:42 EST 1996

(This message is cross-posted.  Please excuse any duplication.)

Hello,

Your expertise is sought.  My question to you is about Web page user
statistics.  I hope you find this topic fits the list.

Do you keep track of who accesses your web page?  More specifically,
How do you find out who the person is who is using your web page?  (an
academic, a consumer, a professional, etc.)  Has anyone figured out how
to determine exactly who a user is?  We've heard of using IP addresses or
on-page user surveys.  What other methods have you come across or used on
your web page?  Our purpose is to find out who is using the web page in
order to better serve the user/client by providing information the
user/client finds useful.

My management project group wonders what models are currently in use
that reveal what types of users are using a specific library web page.

Any experts out there?
Eva Holtsmark
School of Library & Information Science, MA candidate (May 1996)
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242
eva-holtsmark at uiowa.edu