Internet shutdown message

Grace Agnew gagnew at ce1.af.public.lib.ga.us
Thu Feb 22 09:56:05 EST 1996

Michael,

On publibnet, they are saying that this is a hoax, much like the "Good
Times" virus alert.  The version I am seeing says that "the phone
company" will do this (I'm still trying to figure out, anymore, who "the
phone company" is?--At&T?  MCI? those "dime a minute" folks???).  What
about the cable and satellite providers?  I don't
think there's enough centralized, structured management of the Internet
to do a shutdown (which might be scarier, come to think of it, than a
shutdown itself!)  The Mrs Fields/Nieman Marcus cookie recipe remains my
favorite--at least you got a good (albeit fattening) cookie recipe out of it!

Grace

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Michael Watson wrote:

> One of my friends forwarded this message to me from one of his listservs.
> I feel certain that it's a hoax, but was curious to see how widely it has
> spread--has anyone else seen it?
>
> -Mike Watson
> mwatso at gopher1.library.lsumc.edu
> >*** Attention ***
> >
> >It's that time again!
> >
> >As many of you know, each leap year the Internet must be shut down for 24
> hours
> >in order to allow us to clean it.  The cleaning process, which eliminates dead
> >email and inactive ftp, www and gopher sites, allows for a better-working and
> >faster Internet.
> >
> >This year, the cleaning process will take place from 12:01 a.m. GMT on Feb. 29
> >until 12:01 a.m. GMT on March 1.  During that 24-hour period, five powerful
> >Internet-crawling robots situated around the world will search the Internet
> and
> >delete any data that they find.
> >
> >In order to protect your valuable data from deletion we ask that you do the
> >following:
> >
> >1.  Disconnect all terminals and local area networks from their Internet
> >        connections.
> >
> >2.  Shut down all Internet servers, or disconnect them from the Internet.
> >
> >3.  Disconnect all disks and hardrives from any connections to the Internet.
> >
> >4.  Refrain from connecting any computer to the Internet in any way.
> >
> >We understand the inconvenience that this may cause some Internet users, and
> >we apologize.  However, we are certain that any inconveniences will be more
> than
> >made up for by the increased speed and efficiency of the Internet, once it has
> >been cleared of electronic flotsam and jetsam.
> >
> >We thank you for your cooperation.
> >
> >Kim Dereksen
> >Interconnected Network Maintenance staff
> >Main branch, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> >
> >Sysops and others:  Since the last Internet cleaning, the number of Internet
> >users has grown dramatically.  Please assist us in alerting the public of the
> >upcoming Internet cleaning by posting this message where your users will be
> able -
> >to read it.  Please pass this message on to other sysops and Internet users as
> >well.  Thank you.
> Michael Watson
> mwatso at gopher1.library.lsumc.edu

Grace Agnew
Assistant Director for System Support & Technical Development
Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
gagnew at ce1.af.public.lib.ga.us