Launching application via HTML?

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 21 16:20:34 EST 1996

>Is it possible to write an HTML link in a document that will invoke a
>program other than the web browser through which the link is chosen?

I have written a quick guide for how to do just that, at:

"Launching CD-ROM or other applications from a Web browser"
http://www.library.wisc.edu/help/tech/launch_info.html

And would it be possible then for that second program to pass ALT+F4 to the
web browser to shut it down?

It would if the program in question was some kind of scripting program that
can send keystrokes back to Netscape, such as WinBatch from Wilson
Windoware (http://www.windowware.com/). Disclaimer: I have no connection
with Wilson Windoware, but we're very happy users of their product.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Help Desk
Memorial Library