Reply to: Photo CD Images

James_Rubottom at oclc.org James_Rubottom at oclc.org
Wed Feb 21 09:58:06 EST 1996

From: James Rubottom:CEO
Date: ## 02/21/96 09:58 ##
I have used HiJaak PRO for several years to convert photo CD format
images to other formats (including formats viewable on the WWW).  In
fact I am considering using that method for some personal Web
projects I am working on.  Even though I do have a color scanner, I
think you can get better quality from the photo CD.  This is
especially true when you are dealing with existing negatives.

James Rubottom

From: (Dan Lester) DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu:smtp
Date: ## 02/20/96 17:21 ##
I have a bunch of 35 mm slides that I'd like to
scan, both to use on web pages, and for long
term preservation.  No inexpensive means of
directly scanning is available (i.e. not for less
than $2.00 per slide).  However, I have found a
service bureau that will produce a Kodak Photo
CD of 100 slides for about $80.  It comes with a
PhotoCD viewer to view the images, which are
in PhotoCD format (of which I've conveniently
forgotten the extension, perhaps .pcd, but NOT
.jpg, .gif, .tif, .bmp, etc, etc.)   My real questions
are two:

First, have any of you worked from Photo CD
images?  If so, any particular problems?

Second, what software will allow me to convert
the PhotoCD images to .gif or .jpg for use on
web pages, etc?

Any comments, either on or off list, appreciated.
 I'll summarize any offlist comments of
relevance.

cheers

dan

Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University Library, Boise, Idaho,
83725 USA
voice: 208-385-1235   fax:  208-385-1394
dlester at bsu.idbsu.edu     OR
alileste at idbsu.idbsu.edu
Cyclops' Internet Toolbox: