Reeling in Netscape

David P Atkins notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Thu Feb 15 09:47:14 EST 1996

Hello all,

Besides the kiosk feature in Netscape, are there any other tricks, bells
and/or whistles to configuring a browser to access only a set cadre of
url's?  We have internet workstations dedicated to bibliographic searching
(OPAC, telnet, ERL, Cambridge Scientific via the WWW, our GPO Web Page0) &
need to batten down the hatches for security reasons.

Folks seem to sneak around our current PC lock outs (another entire issue!),
load applications on public service PC's and create general havoc with the
resident setups.  By limiting the url's on these machines, I'd hope to
discourage surfing (we have loads of other workstations for that), keep our
hard-drives clean & provide clients access to databases when they
want them.

Thanks,
David

David P. Atkins
Electronic Reference Services Librarian
Middleton Library                    email:  notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Louisiana State University                     voice:   (504) 388-6823
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-3300                      fax:    (504) 388-6825