Telecom bill discussion / censorship / children on the net: enough

jd153 Judy_L_DIN at umail.umd.edu
Tue Feb 13 17:34:00 EST 1996

I've been a little disappointed with the discussion concerning the Telecom
Bill, here.  What better place for a discussion of our Libraries' responses
to the Black Page Protest?

Our Libraries' Web Editorial Board took a quick vote via email, and decided to
ask the AD for Public Services and the Library Director for permission to turn
our web pages black.  However, a standing policy university-wide against making
political statements without the President's (and University Senate's)
approval (impossible on such short notice) made us unable to join in.

Did other librarians have similar experiences?  Are these sorts of university
or city-wide policies common?

What other forms of politicking are libraries thinking of participating in?

 -- Judy Din
    Technical Services Staff Librarian
    UMCP Libraries
    College Park, MD