ILL forms on Web

Calarco, Pascal calarcop at medpo1.med.yale.edu
Tue Feb 13 10:23:00 EST 1996

>We have just linked our ILL request forms to our library home page.
>The only real issue for us was how to limit the service
>to patrons affiliated with the University.  Linking to the
>circulation database of valid library card numbers was thought to be
>too problematic.  We finally decided to "require" that a valid ID
>number be submitted on the form and check it manually the same way

Meaning that you use the PERL script to check for something that
'looks like' a valid ID?  That's what we do as well.  Eventually (ie.
this year), we'd like to link to the patron file to validate them, possibly
using Expect scripts in conjunction with the PERL CGIs.  Once this
is accomplished, the possibilities really open up for automating some of
the more generic aspects of validation.  I'd like to eventually see
more or less automated request validation, perhaps even such that
the Document Delivery staff don't even see easily validated requests.
This, I feel, is some time away.

>ILL requests on paper are done.  This seems a rather "low-tech"
>solution considering the context. How are others dealing with this?
>TIA.

>Helen

>Dr. Helen Laurence      Library Systems Dept.      (407)367-3789
>Florida Atlantic University, P.O. Box 3092, Boca Raton, FL 33431
>Internet: laurence at acc.fau.edu           Bitnet: laurence at fauvax

pascal

Pascal V. Calarco, MLIS
IAIMS Assistant, Librarian