sample rfp for wiring multi-floor building?

Karen G. Schneider kgs at interactive.net
Mon Feb 12 10:05:18 EST 1996

Is there a good sample rfp out there somewhere for creating a LAN in a
multi-story building?  This is not for a library, but for a church, but
several librarians sit on the committee.  And actually, a related goal is
information services throughout a diocese, including to laypeople, so I
think this is pretty relevant.  It's a new (to them) building with no
previous wiring.  I want something to bump against what we now have.

We were mulling over fiber vs. copper, as well.  Several of us thought that
it would be wise to write the rfp to specify either/or, in case fiber turns
out to be affordable.  Another concern I brought up, and I would be happy
to be affirmed or corrected on this, is that if you install copper wiring
throughout a building this year and then develop many more needs for
networking--as folks often do-- you may end up yanking it out and replacing
it with fiber in four or five years, thereby potentially making copper a
false economy.

Some of the features we discussed sounded remarkably familiar to library
plans I'd sat in on (well, I guess that's not so surprising--library
buildings are buildings, after all).  I feel very rusty on this, though,
and felt that the librarians' perspectives on increased network needs was
very analagous to this situation.  Any other guidance/reading/direction
gratefully received.

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at intac.com * kgs at interactive.net *
http://www.intac.com/~kgs/
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries, Internet Law Researcher
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Abortion is legal and can be obtained throughout the U.S. via surgical
procedures, and where accessible, by use of the drug RU482. See your doctor
or local Planned Parenthood clinic.