the telecomm bill

Linda Dehnad lindad at aloha.net
Sat Feb 10 03:19:57 EST 1996

I wondered if it was just coincidence today that NPR had a Milosc (I knew
I'd have a problem spelling his name -- the world renowned Polish poet -
first name begins with C and has a z Czeslaw Milosc?) reading a poem he
wrote on a horrid day in Poland historically important in relationto the
Warsaw Ghetto. He called it the end of the world, and painted a picture
of women walking with umbrellas, and everyone doing everything they
normally do every day, because the end of the world seems just like any
other day until it's over, and then we see that, OH NO! it was
extraordinary, if only we'd known.
	People talked for months about the
telecomunications bill, but it was hard to get excited about it. It
didn't have a ring of reality about it, it being virtual reality and all.
But now we all see, and it makes an impression. Surfing the net is
a pain when so many pages are blacked out. But it becomes clear that
plenty of people are very upset. And if that is what it took for us all
to realize the depths of the disaster, well then all is not lost. At
least we see and feel it now. Many people see and feel it. It might  be less difficult now for us to be moved to express ourselves, in
unison perhaps. Or then again, an offshore island ISP isn't a bad idea.

Linda
Linda Dehnad  Kansai Gaidai Hawaii College  Honolulu HawaiiOn