Black pages

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at harding.edu
Fri Feb 9 16:24:53 EST 1996

Okay, I have read several messages replying to what I had said.  Let me
make a couple more statements about this issue.

First, I do believe that the parents should take some, if not most, of
the responsibility of what his/her child views on the Internet, TV,
etc.  But, the information providers have to take some as well.  I can
leave my child in front of the TV, and feel pretty good that he won't
see some naked woman (although late at night, that may not be true).  I
don't feel the same way while he is on the internet.  And yes, I know
about the software out there that can prevent him from accessing the
stuff, but even that isn't fool proof.  The information provider has to
take some responsibility.

Second, anything I say is my own opinion, and not of Harding
University.

Third, I have yet to see ANY evidence that this bill will violate ANY
of my rights.  Some one will need to point me in the right direction,
because I have not yet found the way.

I believe what is happening is, one person reads the bill, interprets
it to mean one thing, tells someone, that someone believes him and
tells others.  It's called the snow-ball effect.  Let's have a moment
of silence while we all read the bill ourselves, and then we can
interpret it ourselves.  And with a little common sense from each of
us, we may come to some common ground.

The http address for the final bill is,
http://www.cdt.org/policy/freespeech/12_21.cda.html.  (I think someone
else has already posted it).

I just read most of it, and it's interesting.  I still don't see where
my rights are being affected...

It's also interesting to point out the difference between a publisher
and a provider.  The provider is the one who is giving a publisher
access to the internet.  The provider is not held responsible, in any
way, shape or form, for any thing his/her users (the publishers) put on
the internet.  The publishers can still provide thier material.

The following is a direct quote from the bill regarding this issue:

"(c) PROTECTION FOR 'GOOD SAMARITAN BLOCKING AND SCREENING OF OFFENSIVE
  MATERIAL.

    "(1) TREATMENT OF PUBLISHER OR SPEAKER. No provider or user of an
 interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or
 speaker of any information provided by another information content
 provider.

    "(2) CIVIL LIABILITY. No provider or user of an interactive
computer service shall be held liable on account of

      "(A) any- action voluntarily taken in good faith to restrict
      access to or availability of material that the provider or user
      considers to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively
      violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not
      such material is constitutionally protected; or

      "(B) any action taken to enable or make available to information
      content providers or others the technical means to restrict
      access to material described in paragraph (1). "

I didn't see "can not provide" any where in there, or in the entire
bill...  So, again I say, how is this bill violating any of my rights?

And, I didn't see anything about abortion, AIDS, the Bible, or anything
that people have said would be "banned" because of this bill.

Ronnie Morgan
Team OS/2
Harding University Library        Internet : rmorgan at harding.edu
Systems Manager
Box 2267, Searcy, AR  72149       Phone : (501) 279-4077 (voice)