your mail

Keith Engwall engwall at uthscsa.edu
Fri Feb 9 14:35:20 EST 1996

Well, Ronnie Morgan,

The problem is with the nitty gritty of the bill.  Specifically, the
difference between the terms "obscene" and "indecent".  I do not have the
specifics in front of me, but basically the difference is that "indecent"
covers a much broader territory--medical terminology, any discussion about
abortion (even speech against it, if it contains any details), etc.  And,
the assumption that minors can be prevented from reaching anything on the
internet from the server end is naive.  Only at the client end (using
products which block *reception* of material) is it technologically
feasible to filter the material (until we get chips implanted that verify
we are who we claim we are on-line).

The goal here is not to support smut-dealers.  Pornography should be
pursued with vigilance.  However, what we're talking about is lazy, sloppy,
hype-driven measures that throw out the baby with the bath-water.  I work
at a medical library.  Technically, a high percentage of the on-line
materials in our library is now illegal.  Whether it will be enforced or
not is a cop-out argument.  The fact is that we are currently breaking the
law by providing doctors in hospitals with information they need to deal
with breast cancer, testicular cancer, to name only two examples of what is
legally considered "indecent".

I am getting married soon, and hope to have children.  I would like to be
able to be able to discuss openly strategies to protect my children from
sexual molestation.  That is now illegal.  I'd like to find information
about breast feeding for my wife.  That is now illegal.

Will this be enforced?  The point is that it *COULD* be.  In the meantime,
because congress couldn't be more specific, we have to waste money and
resources battling it out in the courts in a time when we are forced to cut
corners to balance the budget.  This is not a wise expenditure.

The technology is ALREADY available for parents to block offensive
materials (it needs improvement, yes... but not nearly as much as this
legislation, and at far less cost... and NO cost to the federal
government).  And, considering that this only covers domestic material, you
need this software ANYWAY!

So, this legislation is not only too broadly written, ineffective, a form
of censorship, and a waste of tax dollars, it is entirely redundant.

Now, you tell me again how these things are a positive thing for the
Internet, and the people on it, that other countries should adopt.

Keith

>** Reply to note from  02/09/96 03:40am -0800
>
>> My page is in a week of mourning for this move down a path that is
>> certain to violate my First Amendment Rights and transform the Internet
>> into another example of overregulation, too much government -- thereby
>> destroying it....
>
>Could someone PLEASE tell me how in the world this bill is going to
>"violate" ANY of my rights?  I have read the bill, and I don't recall
>anything to this effect.
>
>As I read it, it would force people to prevent information providers to make
>sure that thier content is decent, and if not, make sure no one under age
>can get to it.  The smut-providers won't have to close shop, they will just
>have to do a better job of keeping my 5 year old out of thier stuff.
>
>If anything, this bill is good for the internet, and I hope other countries
>around the world will follow our example....
>

>Ronnie Morgan
>Team OS/2
>Harding University Library        Internet : rmorgan at harding.edu
>Systems Manager
>Box 2267, Searcy, AR  72149       Phone : (501) 279-4077 (voice)

Keith Engwall         "Father can you save me, I been feelin' pretty sick.
Systems Librarian     Gotta ball and chain around my legs and an albatross
Briscoe Library       around my neck.  Even though I wrote the script, I
UTHSCSA               disavow every part.  I need the sweet fire of your
engwall at uthscsa.edu   love blowing through this hole in my heart." - VOL