HTML -> >- Printed Copy

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue Feb 27 14:41:11 EST 1996

At 12:13 PM 2/27/96 -0800, Harry M. Kriz wrote:

>At 10:41 AM 2/27/96 -0800, LABARBER wrote:
>>I am curious, after being given the challenge, to learn if it is possible to
>>(1) transfer a paper copy of a document into HTML and then (2) recreate that
>>document from the HTML version using the same font size, justification, etc.
>>that was there in the original document: i.e. recreate the original document
>>from the HTML version.

While I agree with Tom that HTML is about content, not presentation, here is
a recent release  that might make it easier to do what you had mentioned.

MICROSOFT EXTENDS TRUETYPE
 FONTS TO THE WEB, ENABLING
 RICHER WEB PAGES

 From: PR Newswire

 /FROM PR NEWSWIRE LOS ANGELES  213-626-5500/
 TO BUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGY EDITORS:

  MICROSOFT EXTENDS TRUETYPE FONTS TO THE WEB, ENABLING RICHER WEB PAGES

 Forty Industry Leaders Including Hewlett-Packard, Macromedia and Oracle
    Support Solution Based on Industry-Standard TrueType Technology

      BOSTON, Feb. 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT)
 today announced that its TrueType(R) font technology has been extended
 to the World Wide Web, allowing designers to create great-looking Web
 pages that consumers can view -- even if they haven't bought the
 specific typefaces for their PCs.  Forty industry leaders -- including
 Hewlett-Packard Company, Macromedia and Oracle Corp. -- have announced
 support for the Microsoft(R) solution.  The TrueType-for-the-Web
 solution will include a core set of no-charge fonts designed for superb
 on-screen appearance and readability; embedding technology that
 downloads TrueType fonts to consumer PCs as needed; and a royalty-free
 cross-platform licensing program for Microsoft's high-performance
 TrueType rasterizer, which allows all platforms to support TrueType
 technology.
      "For too long, Web designers were free to use any font -- as long
 as it was Times," said Brad Silverberg, senior vice president of the
 Internet platform and tools division at Microsoft.  "Web designers have
 been demanding the same typographic flexibility on the Web as they have
 in print and in other PC applications.  By extending the industry-
 standard TrueType technology to the Web, we have combined the best of
 Windows(R) with the best of the Internet to unleash a new generation of
 dazzling creativity, style and individuality on Web pages that will make
 the Internet a more attractive and compelling place to be."

"For my purpose holds to sail		Bill Crosbie
   beyond the sunset, and the baths	Network/Microcomputer Analyst
   of all the western stars, 		Chang Science Library
   until I die."    ~ Tennyson		Rutgers University
					crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
					908-932-0305 x114