Surfwatch and other Internet ratings systems

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Fri Feb 16 08:29:43 EST 1996

> From web4lib at library.berkeley.edu  Thu Feb 15 17:22:55 1996
> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 15:20:10 -0800
> From: dkirk at wimsey.com (Denis F. kirk)
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: Surfwatch and other Internet ratings systems
>
> This Subject: "Surfwatch and other Internet rating systems" is
> incorrect and a bit misleading. Surfwatch is the name of a commercial
> Internet filter program and has nothing to do with Internet Rating.

I used the phrase "Surfwatch and other Internet ratings systems" based
on the typology of the Internet Parental Control FAQ:

	http://www.vtw.org/pubs/ipcfaq

The IPCFAQ distinguishes between several kinds of proposed technological
solutions to the problem:

	Proof of age/shielding systems
	Proprietary environments
	Phrase detection systems
	Third party ratings systems

Under this typology, both Surfwatch and SafeSurf are "rating systems".
There are many others.  Please see the IPCFAQ for details.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.