Help! Windows NT server vs. UNIX/Linux server

Karen Perone kperone at roc.rodman.lib.oh.us
Thu Feb 8 16:30:13 EST 1996

I'm posting this as an appeal for help. Our library is proposing a city web
site to be set up and housed in the library. Our next meeting is next Friday
(Feb. 16). At this meeting, we would like to have a solid proposal on hardware
and software costs to give to the group (who hopefully will help contribute to
the cost of the server). I have proposed a Windows NT operating system running
on a Pentium Pro at either 150 Mhz or 200 Mhz with a 2 GB hard drive.

I know that UNIX is more robust, but here is my rationale:
I am the systems department. I most likely will be the webmaster. My expertise
centers in the DOS/Windows environment. My UNIX experience is VERY limited and
is limited to ftp and gopher applications and assigning privileges.

Can some of you who have been through this process send me some solid facts of
why Windows NT would be best for our operation? We want ease of use,
maintenance, and implementation. If I am out of line with my assumption, I'd
like reasons why.

Thanks for the help!
Karen Perone                  kperone at roc.rodman.lib.oh.us
Systems Coordinator
Rodman Public Library         voice: 216-821-2665
215 E. Broadway Street
Alliance, OH 44601            fax: 216-821-5053