Pointers to information on copyright issues?

Alejandro Garza Gonzalez agarza at ci.mty.itesm.mx
Fri Feb 2 15:52:33 EST 1996

Is there some Bibliography, Web page or Magazine article out there
that describes the nitty-gritty details of what mantaining electronic
versions of Reserve articles involves? Is it ok while my geographic
end-user base is small? Or is it more the number of end-users more
than their geographic location?

When we mantain electronic versions, scanned from copies teachers
leave us, we only handle them in that form, but we only offer 4
printing stations inside our library. What would the impact of
offering this service to certain subnets (extending the range to any
computer inside our campus) via HTTP be?

The material we mantain in reserve lists is put up by teachers and
ourselves; teachers always hand us copies of their original
information. Regular reserve articles (in paper) are further
photocopied by patrons for their use. Does it matter if we just
eliminate the physical restraints and have the documents be available
anywhere inside campus, at any time? Or would we, to allow some
give-and-take, let only one user at a time access a particular digital
copy of a document (where "at-a-time" would be some sort of 'Ticket'
method, where we let any one user have access to the document for,
say, 5 minutes, and then let the next user in the queue a shot at it)?

Any insight on who's doing this, how do they handle the legalities,
what are the restraints on access, charges for accessing the
information, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.