How to secure TN3270

Ed Cherry cecherry at samford.edu
Mon Dec 30 10:40:45 EST 1996

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996 13:35:28 -0800 Helen Laurence
<laurence at acc.fau.edu> wrote:

> When the TN3270 session opens, it's possible
> to click on the menu bar and select File - Run and from there, anyone could
> run any program they want.  We haven't been able to figure out how to
> prevent users from doing this.

What tn3270 helper are you using?  Queen's University, Kingston
Ontario Canada has two versions of qws3270 (a freeware and a $35
shareware version).  I would recommend both of these.  You can
find a review of them at one of several mirrors to Stroud's
Consummate Winsock Applications page
(http://cws.wilmington.net/sterm.html#qws3270 for the review,
http://cws.wilmington.net/term.html for the download
instructions) These programs don't even HAVE a File menu, so I
think they should be fairly immune to this type of tampering.

* Ed Cherry             *                              *
* Automation Librarian  * Phone:  (205) 870-2506       *
* Davis Library         * Fax:    (205) 870-2642       *
* Samford University    * E-Mail: cecherry at samford.edu *
* Birmingham, AL  35229 *                              *