Chinese Book in full-text

Dorothy Day day at indiana.edu
Mon Dec 23 01:16:35 EST 1996

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Frank Lin wrote:

> Hi Judith
> There are two ways in dealing with Chinese Characters.
> 1. Enter them in as Chinese Characters.  You will need system that runs
> Chinese Software ie win3.1 Chinese Ed, win95 Chinese Ed.  The problem with
> this is that only people with Chinese Windows can read it.  Try visiting
> http://www.gio.gov.tw  this page contants Chinese characters that will only
> be displayed on Chinese Windows.

Actually, there are a number of ways to display Chinese characters
without owning a Chinese version of Windows. You can encode the pages in
GB or Big5, and users with a program that reads that kind of encoding
can call the program from their browser. There are a number of such
programs that have been in common use to read Chinese newsgroups since
the Tiananmen incident. Browse the site

	http://www.ifcss.org/ftp-pub/softwarems-win/

(and other subdirectories, eg. software/dos/editors) for shareware
programs that can display encoded files. There are also several (some
inexpensive) commercial editors that read GB, Big5, or other systems,
e.g. Xialibaren and NJStar, both in shareware versions as BYX and NJStar.

Another way is to use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding, and rely on forthcoming
implementation in browsers and other programs, promised by Netscape,
Sun, Microsoft, and others. That's finally in the foreseeable future.

> 2. Turn the pages into graphics (ie gif, tiff).  The web will treate it as a
> graphical image thus allowing any browser to view it (sometimes a bit slow).
> There is a page that treate Chinese characters as gifs but I can't recall
> the address it might be http://www.sinenet.com (can not verify since our
> network is down at current time).

Definitely the slow way to go, and best for "artistic" displays, e.g.
fine calligraphy, not full-text.

	Good luck!
	Dorothy Day

> At 08:18 AM 20/12/96 -0800, you wrote:
> >I just received a request from a faculty member who has written a book in
> >Chinese (200 pages).  He wants to place the full-text of this book on his
> >web page so that anyone can access it freely without restrictions.  It is
> >written in the Chinese characters.  Any suggestions as to how he can do
> >this?
> >
> >Thanks for any help you can offer,

> >Judith Rigsby                                    Acquisitions/Internet
> Librarian
> >Oral Roberts University Library
> >Tulsa, OK
> >email: jurigsby at oru.edu
> >"Nothing is really work unless you'd rather be doing something else."

> Frank Lin                                   E-Mail: F.Lin at uws.edu.au
> Computer Support/Liaison Officer            Phone:  (046) 20 3589
> Library & Information Services              Fax:    (046) 282 460
> University of Western Sydney - Macarthur
> PO Box 555, Campbelltown NSW 2560 Australia
> http://libweb.macarthur.uws.edu.au/people/flin.htm

---
Dorothy Day
Indiana University