Netscape 4.0 Beta 1 for Win32 is out

David Risner drisner at swlaw.edu
Sun Dec 22 10:48:33 EST 1996

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Peter Scott wrote:

> This version is very buggy and I would not recommend downloading it. You
> might want to read more about the bugs in the
> comp.infosystems.www.browsers.ms-windows newsgroup.

Hmmm... If you used the 3.0 or 2.0 betas, I think you will find this is more
stable than previous betas.  Yes, it does have some redraw problems, and I
have not been able to get it to download all of the newsgroups from the
server (I just added my subscribed groups by hand), but, IMHO, it is such a
vast improvement over anything else out there, I am already using it
exclusively.

Moreover, if you install 4.0 to a different directory, it is very good about
getting the settings from your 3.0 version and still allowing you to switch
between 3.0 and 4.0.

It is, however, HUGE.  Unless you are going through a T1 or have a phone
line you can tie up for a couple of hours, you might want to wait until it
has gone through a couple of beta rounds before downloading it.
--
David G. Risner -- Network Systems Administrator
Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, CA
Business:drisner at swlaw.edu  Personal:drisner at mci2000.com
http://members.aol.com/dgrisner/Home.html