Web sites for library staff

John Pearce jpearce at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 18 19:26:59 EST 1996

> Do any of your libraries maintain web sites for staff use only--separate
> and apart from the library's web site?  My vision is of a site
> where manuals, documents and files can be updated once without having to
> distribute new copies to many people. Of course, it would be a natural
> sharing place for other types of information as well.   My concern is that
> it would serve no purpose that internal e-mail and the main library web
> site couldn't serve if used wisely. For those of you that have one, what
> do you place on it?  Does all info have to go through a webmaster, or can
> anyone upload info?

We have such a site.  As well as the purposes already given, it
includes local copies of upgrades and new versions of software used on
staff computers, along with instructions and links to the companies'
home pages.  Having them on the server saves staff from slow web sites
of campus, and having the instructions available saves immeasurable
support staff time.

I'm more computer support focused, so that is my primary use.  I have
a bookmark to a "Web White Pages Links" page that one of the other
staff members put up, though.

John Pearce
U. of Washington Health Sciences Library