Unauthorized Web pages

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Tue Dec 17 18:39:20 EST 1996

> Does anyone have experience with someone setting up Web pages without
> authorization?  One of our member libraries wants to know if there is
> anything they can do when a local private business sets up a home page
> for them without the library's approval.  It puts the library in an
> awkward position, and the information is not wholly accurate.  Short of
> legal action, does anyone have suggestions to offer?

This might sound silly, but couldn't the library simply ask the offending
party to either:
1. remove the web page.
2. Work with the library to make it accurate.

If you discuss their goof-up in a way that says "gee, you guys really
look incompetent," one would think they'd be willing to listen, since
their inaccuracies reflect poorly on their business.

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi
			dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu