recommendations needed for a good web design book

kevin bishop kwbishop at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 17 11:52:57 EST 1996

Lest I'm burned at the stake and/or booted off this list (which I think is
very informative and highly instructional on a number of levels, thanks
for allowing me to participate), I believe I should explain myself further
regarding my recommendation of Siegel's book on Web design.

While I fully understand that he has been harshly criticized for his
irregular use of HTML (and that his design doesn't 'downgrade
gracefully'), I was speaking from the perspective of someone who always
appreciates ideas which stretch the imagination, are off the beaten path,
or are in some way (as I said) "provocative."

Please note that I also mentioned what are some of his simplest ideas to
implement -- the single pixel GIF tricks -- yet sometimes difficult to
manage when updating frequently.  And I am fully aware that he designs
primarily for businesses, corporations, and others (some artistic
types--not to be glib) who need 'full control' of how the page lays out,
which *will* neglect the needs and preferences of many users, as Mr.
Dowling rightfully pointed out.

So, perhaps Siegel's book has less relevance for librarians designing for
the Web, and as a librarian in training I can fully appreciate that fact.
But if I remember correctly the original query simply asked for
suggestions on Web design books as a Xmas present.  And given the price of
_Creating Killer Websites_, I certainly wish it had been a present.

thanks again.

-kb