Proxy server for off-site access to Web licensed products

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Thu Dec 12 12:37:26 EST 1996

>It seems to us that a better solution would be to implement an
>intermediate server using techniques as employed by "The Anonymizer"
>(http://www.anonymizer.com).  In this scenario, the user would use a
>special form of URL such as http://fixer.maricopa.edu?http://www.eb.com,
>which would cause the browser to contact fixer.maricopa.edu, fixer would
>then contact www.eb.com, pull down the page, modify all of the URLs in the
>page by preceding them with http://fixer.maricopa.edu? (actually, not
>quite that easy thanks to relative URLs, but you get the idea), then
>sending this modified page back to the client.

Would this approach have any advantage over a true proxy server as far
as validating users to uphold license agreements?  I guess this approach
would have the advantage of not directing all net traffic from remote
users through the proxy at your site.

Is the IAC solution you mentioned the "black box"?

Thanks,

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-