Proxy server for off-site access to Web licensed products

Donald G Richardson drichard at WPI.EDU
Thu Dec 12 09:39:15 EST 1996

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Chris Zagar wrote:

> We're facing a problem that can't be terribly unique, so I'm curious to
> know if anyone else has cracked it.
>
> We've started licensing products on the Web from companies such as
> Britannica, Gale and IAC.  These companies are using IP address as the
> means of validation, ...

We're very interested in any solutions to the situation described by Chris
Zagar also. We're subscribing to a number of electronic journals, which
use the IP address as validation for users, as well as online databases.
This seems to be the method that most services use, so it can't be a
unique situation, as Chris said.

Thanks for posting the question. We'll be interested to see any replies.

                   Don Richardson ** drichard at wpi.edu
                 Reference Librarian ** Gordon Library
                 WPI (Worcester Polytechnic Institute)
              100 Institute Road ** Worcester, MA 01609-2280
                Voice (508) 831-5410 ** Fax (508) 831-5829