On-Line Reference Services

Sally Patrick spatrick at slcpl.slcpl.lib.ut.us
Mon Dec 9 15:43:57 EST 1996

Colleagues-
Thanks to all who responded to my message several weeks ago
regarding the experience of those doin on-line (e-mail) reference
off their web pages.  As promised I'd like to summarize for all
interested in providing such a service to their patrons.

Libraries providing the service:  More academic than public
libraries seem to provide such a service.  For academics it is
part of student support off the web page.  For public libraries,
they provide the service to registered borrowers and while the
service is on the web page, none advertise beyond this.

How Queries are Distributed:  This seems to depend on how the
original question is addressed.  Some libraries send queries to a
central account whereby a librarian distributes the question
depending on the subject area.  One library send questions to
central reference where almost half can be handled as a short
answer.  Only the longer queries are sent to subject departments.

Good Form on the Front End:  Several colleagues cautioned that it
is critical to have a good query form right on the web page and
to get as much information not only about the question but about
the patron as possible in order to best answer the question and
interact with the patron.  Some said more time was wasted in
correspondence with the patron because information was unclear up
front.  (Sounds like a good mantra for a "virtual" reference
interview too!)

Enthusiastic Support:  Of those who responded all librarians have
been supportive and even enthusiastic about offering such a
responsive service to their patrons.  Most do limit such a
service to their constituent base and none advertise which
probably speaks to not yet feeling overwhelmed by provision of
the service.

Thanks again to my gentle colleagues who responded and good luck
to those of you who will be providing on-line reference to your
patrons in the future.  These are indeed exciting times to be
able to use such good tools for our public!

Sincerely,

Sally

Sally M. Patrick, Training Coordinator
Salt Lake City Public Library