Alternatives to Pointcast?

Rich Harrington rharrington at jjhill.org
Fri Dec 6 15:38:10 EST 1996

Dave Davis (DDavis at copyright.com) wrote:
>Sorry if this has been asked recently- I recall seeing it on one of the
>several
>(dozens? ;-) ) of lists I'm on.
>
>Does anyone have a list of web-based, customizeable, news (and other
>contents) services, like Pointcast (I think they are the most
>well-known)?
>
>Any recommendations?

I'm probably not going to the the only one pointing out that Pointcast isn't
really Web-based, though it does integrate Netscape into its workings (i.e.,
if you click on an advertisement, it uses the WWW [and Netscape if you've
got it] to go to the company's Web site).  It's really more of a hypnotizing
screen saver and customizable news source.

That said, Pointcast's nearest competitor seems to be Berkeley Systems'
After Dark Online (http://www.afterdark.com/).  I haven't tried it myself,
but I do understand it doesn't have those ads running all the time.

I don't know of any real Web-based products, but I bet someone else does --
in fact, I just got another e-mail that does!  Gotta love life in the Net
lane...

Rich
Rich Harrington
Electronic Services Department
James J. Hill Reference Library, St. Paul, MN USA
rharrington at jjhill.org