fortres or ikiosk ?

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Fri Dec 6 10:05:01 EST 1996

These two programs do different things.  IKIOSK will let
you disble menu options, dialog boxes, and right-clicks in
selected applications.  Unless you use it to disable all
Open & Save dialog boxes as well as right-clicks, your hard
drives will still be vulerable.  IKIOSK alone *might* do
if you don't want to let people FTP files to floppy for
personal use *and* if you use some other means (incl.
registry & MSDOS.SYS changes in Win95) to protect the
interface.

And Fortres won't keep users from activating mail and news
clients in Netscape to send mail.  It won't prevent users
from changing Netscape's settings to their hearts' content.

Fortres protects the hard drive and defangs the interface.
IKIOSK makes individual applications safe.  You have to find
some way to do both things.

Hyper Technologies does have plans for some form of HD
protection to work with IKIOSK, so there will be more
options.  Also, StopLight ELS has some real virtue as a HD
protection program.

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Catalog Department		voice: 713/247-3499
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-3158
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-

--- On Thu, 5 Dec 1996 18:54:10 -0800  Miriam Bobkoff <mbobkoff at rt66.com>