Chinese Book in full-text

Roberto Lofaro bobl_prconsulting at poboxes.com
Wed Dec 25 12:57:08 EST 1996

Dorothy Day wrote:
>Browse the site
>
>	http://www.ifcss.org/ftp-pub/softwarems-win/
>
>(and other subdirectories, eg. software/dos/editors) for shareware
>programs that can display encoded files. There are also several (some
>inexpensive) commercial editors that read GB, Big5, or other systems,
>e.g. Xialibaren and NJStar, both in shareware versions as BYX and NJStar.

Actually, if the purpose is just viewing either Chinese, Korean or Japanese characters (CJK coding) under a non-Asian Win95/Win3.1, there is a shareware version of NJWIN, produced by the same company that publishes NJSTAR. The ZIP file is around 1 MB, vs. around 5-6 for the Word processor.

I used it under Win95 UK, with standard software, like Notepad, Write, etc, and it seems to work correctly.

Their address is: http://www.njstar.com.au

As far as I know, the NJWIN product (shareware- registration price) is USD 49, while the Chinese WP NJSTAR ranges from USD99 to USD299.

Being a share-ware, you web-page could probably include the un-registered NJWIN for download. I have been able to read also Japanese Web pages with NJWIN installed.

I have actually no practical knowledge of NJSTAR, and I have no relationship whatsoever with the publisher.

Regards.

Roberto Lofaro
Change&Intercultural Management, I.T. for Decision Support
bobl_prconsulting at poboxes.com
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/4197/rlofaro.html