PUBLICi software - security for public stations (fyi)

Melissa Silvestre silvest at umslvma.umsl.edu
Tue Dec 10 20:44:38 EST 1996

For those looking to deal with security and ease of configuration
of public terminals...

I saw this product demo'd at the LITA/LAMA conference. I thought it
was worth looking into seriously for our own library, particularly for
its ability to let us control printing, as we have found no good solution
since we started having full-text ascii databases mixed in with our
abstract-only databases.

Note that it does not solve the problems of particular software packages
having their own security loopholes - eg. Netscape writing to the hard drive.
It does provide an easy interface to let users choose among several Windows
apps without having to face the Program Manager or the Windows 95 desktop.
It runs on top of Windows NT which has its own user security to protect
the hard drive, etc.

I have no affiliation with this company at all.

>Date: Mon, 9 Dec 96 22:58:43 UT
>From: "Clark Richter" <richter2 at msn.com>
>To: "Melissa Silvestre" <silvest at umslvma.umsl.edu>
>Subject: PUBLICi software
>
>Dear Melissa,
>
>Pursuant to our meeting at the LITA/LAMA conference in Pittsburgh, I
wanted to
>let you know that a free evaluation version of our PUBLICi software is
>available for download from our web site.
>
>http://www.webpad.com/spacetime (follow the links to PUBLICi)
>
>To refresh your memory PUBLICi is designed to integrate with the Windows NT
>operating system to control access to public computer terminals. Here are few
>features:
>
>7 Completely customizable for your organization
>7 Print charging/limiting
>7 Usage reporting
>7 Time charging/limiting
>7 Customized menu for main applications
>7 "Unattended" automation
>7 Instructional presentations
>7 Simplicity of use for novices
>
>We hope you or a colleague take the time to experience first hand how PUBLICi
>can save your organization time and money. Prices start at $99 for a single
>copy or $50 per license for 10 or more terminals. If you have any questions
>please feel free to contact me.
>
>Sincerely yours,
>

>Clark Richter
>Email: richter2 at msn.com

Melissa Silvestre
silvest at umslvma.umsl.edu     http://www.umsl.edu/~silvest/
Reference Librarian, University of Missouri-St. Louis
(314) 516-6473