HTML->unformatted ascii text converters?

Harry M. Kriz Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu
Thu Dec 5 11:27:23 EST 1996

At 03:56 PM 12/4/96 -0800, Anthony Toyofuku wrote:

>Does anyone know of any software out there (including the source code -
>in C preferably) that takes HTML documents and outputs straight unformatted
>ASCII text (without any of the HTML tags).  If it includes any of the
>rudimentary formatting from the docuement (like centering), that would
>be great.

I've used Internet Assistant for Word to move documents back and forth
between HTML and ASCII and other formatted text suitable for printing.
Using Word's styles and templates gives you good control over how a single
document will look when printed, when saved as a plain ASCII file, and when
saved as an HTML file. I've also used it to create a multi-part hypertext
document from a single large Word document.

Information is available at:
http://www.microsoft.com/word/internet/ia/

--Harry
Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu   540-231-7052   FAX:  540-231-3694
http://learning.lib.vt.edu/authors/hmkriz.html
University Libraries
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)
Blacksburg, VA   24061-0434     USA
"What joy to awake every morning in a world so filled with  things to learn."
                                                         - H. M. Kriz (1994)