Hiring Librarians

Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library WEISSMAN at main.morris.org
Mon Aug 26 01:14:15 EDT 1996

The original Rev.(Post) said "starts at $31K ..."//One of my students
(Rutgers SCILS) told me last semester how intimidated, nearly brutalized
she felt by job interviews/interviewers placing extraordinary technological
demands on the newly minted MS ..I told her not to be cowed because
some institution found itself behind the eight ball in the collective
1990s information skill pool and determined somehow to make it all up
in one hire. Information needs and skills have leapt, compressed and
morphed faster than people study, learn, train ...I think it will
be another 5 years before we really have the people we need, in the
places we need them, in numbers ..meanwhile, I hope no one is turning
away promising people of good minds who can be taught. I'd rather
hire someone who knew they had a lot to learn than someone who thought
they knew it all ...