Hiring Librarians

guthery at austin.sar.slb.com guthery at austin.sar.slb.com
Sun Aug 25 10:47:51 EDT 1996

Elisabeth Roche notes ...

>IMO, the fact that there are so many systems librarians and people doing the
>systems jobs successfully, most without the formal CIS/MIS training to start,
>is more revealing of the current attitudes and future desires of LIS
>professionals than the truth that there are professionals and departments as
>you describe who are also caught in this moment of change.

The *LAST* person I want organizing information on our Web is a person with
training in MIS!!!  Why are librarians so tied to books and shelves?  (Well, I
know ... I love the feel and the look of 'em too but that's not the point.)

What needs tending is the content not the media.  Who knows how to organize
knowlege in a way that it can be used by humans?  The people who print pay
checks?  I think not.  Who set up that great library in building 204?  Let's
find that person.