SHOE-MARC

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Wed Aug 21 14:57:48 EDT 1996

                      SHOE-MARC

   In reviewing projects and research related to the 'automated
categorization' of Web resources for Project Aristotle(sm) at

    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Aristotle.htm  ,

   I discovered SHOE, the Simple HTML Ontology Extensions. SHOE is a
"proposed extension to HTML that allows World-Wide Web Authors to
annotate their pages with formal knowledge-representation semantics"
A Java applet, the Knowledge Annotator, has been developed to facilitate
the annotation of Web pages with SHOE knowledge." For full details,
see the papers and demo I'll hotlinked to from within Project Aristotle(sm).

   It has occurred to me that perhaps SHOE would be a mechanism by which
existing Web pages could easily be 'annotated' with appropropriate
HTML-MARC coding.

   I'd appreciate any reaction to the possibilities of a SHOE MARC
and related musings.

  SHOE is a project of Sean Luke and friends at the University
 of Maryland, College Park, Computer Science department.

   Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

cc: Sean Luke

BTW: I have added profiles of over two dozen projects, products
and services to Project Aristotle(sm) over ther past two weeks.