Wyse WinTerm (very thin Windows client)

wilcox at lis.unt.edu wilcox at lis.unt.edu
Mon Aug 19 19:20:40 EDT 1996

> I've been reading about Wyse's WinTerm terminals that could offer
> a much less expensive way to offer large numbers of Windows tubes
> at a minimal cost.
>
> If you are not familiar with this approach, apparently a Windows NT
> Server is used to actually does the work of these terminals and all
> screen paints are passed out to these dialup or Ethernet connected
> machines.  The client machines have little more than a screen, a
> keyboard and a mouse.  Users inputsuch as mouse clicks and keyboard
> entries are passed back to the  server which does all the work for
> the end user.
>
> Wyse hypes this as less expensive, more secure and easier to manage
> than individual workstations.
>
> Has anyone experimented with this technology?
This is just retooling the old dumb terminal technology only now it
would be much slower and akward because of Windows (and GUI
interfaces in general). Networking can improve the power of computing
but not at the expense of power in the machines.

If any of you have ever used a VTLS system you know what I mean. It
would save $$ on cost of terminals at first, but the costs of servers would probably
increase to make up the profit margins.

I still think you're better off with networked Pentiums and keep
servers for running applications and e-mail, but keep the OS routines
on each PC.

Mark
wilcox01 at airmail.net
http://www.unt.edu/~mew0002/