FirstSearch script security

Wilfred [Bill] Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Mon Aug 19 09:36:50 EDT 1996

S. M. S. wrote:

> A short time ago someone offered a script for accessing FirstSearch without
> having to use a CGI script.  The writer said that the problem was the file
> needed to be placed where access to it was secure.

I am the person who wrote the document.  IT IS NOT A SCRIPT!!!!  The URL
for the information is:

gopher://slscva.ca.sunycentral.edu:
70/00gopher_root:[000000._LAIP_INFO._LAIP_DOCS._MEM_CONTRIBS]bill.txt

> I need to get in contact with this person, or someone who can answer the two
> following questions:
>
> 1.  Where do you put the file that it may be "secure" if it is on a PC?

It doesn't go on a PC it goes on a World Wide Web Server.

> 2.  How can the script be made "secure" at all since it seems to allow
> access from Netscape by using "document source."

It is made secure in the sense that it must be in a location on your
server only accessable to your users and not the general internet
public.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902