Linux

Martin Cohen mjc at simon.stmarys-ca.edu
Thu Aug 15 18:41:02 EDT 1996

We've been running a Web server on Linux for two years.
I like the idea of running Linux with X as public station clients in
place of Windows 3.x - for a graphical browser, etc.

We started with Linux 0.96 and at that time I would not have done it
without the help of an interested computer science professor / Unix guru.
Now I think that Linux expertise is at least as available as any other
Unix-on-Intel expertise. Maybe more so in the library community, as it's
possible to set up a Linux box and experiment oneself at very low cost.

Linux itself has matured and proven its reliability. And as Linux is less
demanding of hardware (memory, disk) than other versions of Unix
(including NT), it's much more feasible than they would be, given our
budget.

I agree with Toens.

Martin J. Cohen                                 mcohen at stmarys-ca.edu
Media Services and Library Systems              voice: (510) 631-4229
Saint Mary's College of California              fax:   (510) 376-6097
Moraga, CA 94575                                ars longa vita brevis