linux

Temple Hoff temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Thu Aug 15 12:24:39 EDT 1996

Wow!  I had no idea linux was being used to this extent in libraries.

Someone commented that they could use linux with a CD-ROM faster than 2x.
I have an 8x in my home unit that has no problem at all.  Maybe this is brand
issue.

Marc's post about key encryption in the kernel definately caught my eye. Is
this, or can this relate to PGP?  Is anyone using PGP with linux?

As much as I've grown to love linux, I don't think I ready to use it as a desk
top for my users (at least for now), as I think one person mentioned.  I have a
hard enough time teaching our library staff how to move their mouse and click
on the pretty buttons.  I do have my home unit partitioned half-and-half linux
red hat and win95.  I like being able to access the win95 partition as a
directory under linux.  I also understand some lunix gurus somewhere are making
an x-windows desktop that looks and feels like win95.  That should be fun if
nothing else.

Several people have commented on the support one receives from the linux
community.  I agree.  I much prefer the level of help I receive from the linux
hackers on the newsgroups etc. than what I receive from our Unix (AIX) payed
support.  As a matter of fact, I've received more useful help from this list
than many of the vendors I deal with (and pay for!).

As I am writing this post, I keep clancing at my in box and seeing the posts
from Toens.  You rebel you!!  I'll just dido all your remarks! (and mark your
e-mail address for linux questions!) ;-)

Is anyone using a linux box as a router?  I think I'll be using one as a router
and to convert between our 100baseT wan and the 10baseT in building lan.

Yes indeed, I see a bright future for linux in Libraryland!

Temple Hoff                  E-Mail:temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Library Services Coordinator           Phone:(520) 692-5703
Mohave County Library District           Fax:(520) 692-5788