Linux

David P Atkins notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Thu Aug 15 09:26:49 EDT 1996

Some time ago, I posed the same question, specifically comparing two
versionso of linux:  Slackware & Red Hat.  Red Hat is not free nor is it
expensive.  It boasts some shareware add-ons that make installation &
management easier.

Just as we we're about to go w/ Red Hat, our attention was turned to
Caldera's linux product:  a Red Hat 2.something release w/ some shareware
add-ons, including a Novell unixware client and a truely resonable price.
Caldera was also given a couple of virtual thumbs up in a recent issue of
Unix Review (do I've that title correct?).  It also includes the Apache
httpdaemon.

We've only just begun using the server, WebSPIRS server so we don't know
what it'll take bo bring it down.

A good book on linux is Dee-Ann LeBlanc's  _Running the Perfect Internet
Site with Linux_, a 1996 publication from Que Press.  It comes w/ all the
freeware you need to get started.  Still, I'm glad we shelled out the $70
bucks for Caldera (includes manual & tech. support).

Happy unix,
David

David P. Atkins
Electronic Reference Services Librarian
Middleton Library                    email:  notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Louisiana State University                     voice:   (504) 388-6823
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-3300                      fax:    (504) 388-6825