Linux

Eric Schnell ehschnel at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 15 08:23:37 EDT 1996

   We have also been experimenting with Linux. It is being
used as the OS on a Web server which we run our PERL /
CGI scripts on. We route all Web forms to it for processing
thus distributing the CPU load.

   If it were not for hiring a computer programmer ethusiastic
with it I do not think we would have even considered Linux.
The OS is very particular about video drivers and CDROM
units which are used, something that only those who have
experience with it would have even known about. For example
we had to use a 2X CDROM because it would not recognize
anything faster. Even though he has installed Linux many times,
it still took him almost a week to get it done so all the services
were working. On the other hand, once it is installed it is a
very powerful system which can run a Web service quite well
on a 486 with 8MB of memory.

  One thing about Linux users, they are believers in the system!
He has been trying to convince me that we should drop all
Microsoft OS's in favor of Linux running X-windows. As I told
him, we have to be careful not to develop systems and library
standardsaround an OS which requires such a high level of
understanding and  support. Besides, what are the odds we
will be able to find someone else with his understanding of
the OS If he moves on?

  So unless you have the support staff or are willing to take the
time to learn and experiment, don't bother with Linux. If you do,
be careful not to paint yourself into a corner.

-Eric
Eric Schnell, Head of Automation Services
Prior Health Sciences Library, Ohio State
  schnell.9 at osu.edu      614-292-4870
http://bones.med.ohio-state.edu/eric.html