Linux

Temple Hoff temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Wed Aug 14 19:53:04 EDT 1996

Hi!

You could be right about the students.  I work in a public library so I'm a bit
removed from that sort of thing.

I hope Linux is "on-topic" for this list.  It seems to me that sharing info on
O/Ses and their connectivity would be vital info for libraries in their pursuit
to "get connected."  I know we talk alot about what we put on our library web
sites and how we deal with them politically, but I hope we can also discuss
what we are using, why, and how we are getting it into our ever shinking
budgets.  I guess that's a call for the list gods at Berkeley.

My primary function at our library is to maintain our libraries Unix (AIX)
system.  When I was wired I knew nothing about it, so I put linux on my home
machine to help me learn. That way I could try all the scary commands at home
with no risk of crashing the library's system.  It's worked out great.  I think
I've reached the novice level on both systems, maybe a little higher.  I do
think linux is much easier to install and learn.  At least easier than AIX.

I agree, somewhat on the firewall issue.  I guess its a matter of degree. If
I'm protecting the Pentagon's systems I probably wouldn't use linux, however,
for our library anyway, I think it will work great.  Most all of our data is
public info anyway.  We are not a major target, and when it comes right down to
it, I have a feeling those evil few who can hack past a linux firewall could
also get past a lot of Unix or NT or other big ticket firewalls.  If you pay
the $35 to get linux from Red Hat then you don't have to prowl the newesgroups
for security fixes.  Red Hat will let you know, and provide product support.
Caldera works the same way.  They even have WordPerfect ported over for X
windows.

I wonder how many libraries just connect right up to the Internet without a
firewall at all, maybe just a router acting as a filter.  I know of a few
colleges and schools that are hooked-up that way.  It may not be a BSDI system
but a free linux firewall is certainly preferable to nothing.  By the way, have
you looked at BSDI prices?  WOW! Way out our budget range!

As far as needing skilled staff, you're right on.  It does take a special kind
of person for linux or Unix, but many library automation systems like our Sirsi
Unicorn system, are Unix based.  If a library already has a Unix person onboard
for their automation system and they don't want to build a web server or
firewall on their present Unix box and can't afford another, why not use linux?

More than the particulars of linux, though I love the topic, I am interested in
knowing if anyone out there in library land is using it or considering it and
for what.
Temple Hoff                  E-Mail:temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Library Services Coordinator           Phone:(520) 692-5703
Mohave County Library District           Fax:(520) 692-5788