Remote Web access

Dan Kissane powerdan at intersurf.com
Wed Aug 14 14:08:55 EDT 1996

I am responding to the whole list as inevitably someone writes a me-too
message.  Also, isn't that what the list is for?

Anyhow, McNeese State University in Lake Charles, Louisiana provides dial
in PPP web access.  There are currently only six lines but 28 lines are
coming very soon.

There is a $20.00 per semester fee for students.  Faculty and staff ride
for free.  This fee also allows you access to a lab on campus.  There is
another free Internet access lab available in the library (also coming
soon).

I don't know how password security is handled.

We have had this service about a year.

The issue to me is one of the library's role as information provider.  Are
we an information provider or a computer lab or both?  I feel the
library's resources should be spent on database access purchases and then
the library should make this information available via the Internet.  I
feel users should be responsible for acquiring a computer to access these
databases on their own.

The great thing about a dial-in PPP connection to the university is we can
restrict access to university IP numbers for proprietary databases.  We do
this with WinSPIRS and MacSPIRS combined with SilverPlatter databases.

Don't get me wrong, we do allow access in the building to the databases.
This is done through dumb terminals and the future lab.

However,  I strongly feel that computers with modems should be required
equipment for all students.  The financail aid packages should reflect
this cost.  I believe Sonoma State, my alma mater, did this recently
though I have not heard the results.

The bottom line is I feel the university should provide the funds for the
computer labs on campuses and these funds should not come out of the
library budget.  In our case, the university did supply the money for the
lab located in the library.

There are other side issues such as charging for e-mail accounts thus
creating caste systems, access hours and the like.  This ought to be
enough to generate a huge amount of responses.  Have at it.

Dan Kissane
Assistant System Librarian
McNeese State University
Lake Charles, LA 70605