Which Plug-Ins/Helper Apps?

Rich Harrington rharrington at jjhill.org
Tue Aug 13 15:41:51 EDT 1996

Greetings Web4Lib-ers,

   I will soon be placing 2 PCs on our Reading Room floor that will be
devoted to World Wide Web (Netscape) for the public.  I have been carefully
disabling the various aspects of this program we have talked about here.
But now it is time to add functionality.  And I'd like to ask for your guidance.

   What plug-ins/helper applications should I load?  I have so far decided
to put Adobe Acrobat Reader, and a stupid little Microsoft telnet program.
I am wavering on applications like RealAudio and Shockwave.  What have you
found to be useful for your patrons?  What has been, in your opinion, more
trouble than it's worth?

   I'll be happy to collect the data and post the results in a few days.

Thanks so much,
Rich
Rich Harrington
Electronic Services Department
James J. Hill Reference Library, St. Paul, MN USA
rharrington at jjhill.org