HTML-MARC

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Fri Aug 9 14:36:06 EDT 1996

Fay Hjartarson, in her recent message raises an important issue that
I do not believe [and I could be wrong [:-{>] has been as extensively
as I be the issue should.

>While we are on the topic of MARC tags and tagging, has anyone heard of a
>MARC tags  conversion program to SGML tags ? We are looking at creating an
>SGML tagged repository of bibliographic information, which we think could be
>much more flexible when we want to create outputs.

In my Position Paper prepared for the Colloquium of the Internet Cataloging
Project, I advance the notion of extending MARC with HTML to create a
cataloging tagging format that would make use of the extensive investment
in MARC (and usefulness, as well) in the Web environment. The URL for my
paper is:

        http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/OCLC.htm

My discussion of 'HTML-MARC' can be found in the 'Presenting' section
of the Paper. In it I note a similar observation that Fay has
made concerning the potential benefit (and certainly the need)
for this type of functionality.

   I will be preparing a White Paper (Paper? [:-)] about my concept
of HTML-MARC and would greatly appreciate reactions to the skeletal
proposal and the characteristics of an associated DTD.

   Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University