Archiving documents

Woodward Jeannette WOODWARD at fogelson.csf.edu
Tue Aug 6 02:41:51 EDT 1996

Hi Fellow Netters,

I'm working on an article and need some help.  The article is about
how Internet sites decide what should be kept permanently and what
documents can safely bite the dust.

If you have some responsibility for a site, would you mind
answering these questions or send me an e-mail address if there is a
more
appropriate contact at your site?  Don't feel obligated to answer
them all and please add any additional information that you think
would be useful.

How are decisions made concerning what is loaded and maintained at
your site?

Who decides when to remove a document?

Why are documents removed?

Is there any provision made for keeping archival copies of documents
that have been removed?

If you are a university site, what is the role of faculty in deciding
what stays or goes?

What is the role of your administration in deciding what stays or
goes?

If anyone at your site produces a regular publication like an
electronic journal,  would it be treated differently? How?

Does your library have any specific role in archiving Internet
documents?

Do you have any formal system for dealing with drafts and final
versions of documents?

This may be covered in the questions above but if, let's say,
Einstein posted his theory of relativity at your site and only at
your site,  and he's an unknown assistant professor,  would that
document be around five years from now in some form?  Might it have
disappeared into the ether? Would any steps have been taken to
protect it?

What steps do you think Internet sites should be taking to insure the
permanence of important documents?

Thanks so very much for your help.  Please send your responses
directly to me and if you like, I can send you a summary of the

Jeannette Woodward
College of Santa Fe
woodward at fogelson.csf.edu