FW: New Web Authoring Tool

Heath Rezabek hrezabek at fiat.gslis.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 6 15:23:45 EDT 1996

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Ernest Perez wrote:

> Here's a message about and original text referring to Akimbo Systems' new
> Globetrotter product, supposedly the "third generation" of WWW authoring products.
> Oregon State Printer Mike Freese put this msg out on our SEPUG (State Electronic
> Publishing Users Group) list.   There's already been a predictable exchange on that
> list between "raw HTML" purists and the "I don't really care how it works if it
> works" faction.

What I would [and always will] look for in products like this is whether
or not the HTML it generates can be validated at current or proposed
DTDs [sort of the grammar-checker of HTML as an SGML subset], with a
validator such as WebLint, WebTechs, or Kinder-Gentler Validator.

What's ironic about all of these is that HTML was originally [according
to Tim Berners-Lee] designed to be handled by editors, and still I have
yet to see one that can validate, even though the DTDs are freely
available and *designed* to be machine-read.

Until these editors can render HTML that follows standards -- *any*
standard so long as it's freely available -- I'll use them for rapid
prototyping only, and do mop-up in their "first generation" editors
[BBEdit, for me].  As a librarian, particularly, concern for the
longevity and accessibility of information demands the sort of care /
attention that those producing pages for next week's sales expo can get
away with shirking.  Although, as Stu Weibel pointed out a while ago,
longevity of this info is in no way guarunteed by sticking to standards,
it is the closest thing we have.

          Heath M Rezabek  hrezabek at gslis.utexas.edu
                           http://www.gslis.utexas.edu/~hrezabek/ndx.html
  GSLIS Masters Candidate  University of Texas at Austin
Technical Staff Assistant  Perry-Castaneda Library EIC
HTML Writers Guild Member  http://www.hwg.org/