Flame - read until properly toasted...

Wilfred [Bill] Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Fri Aug 2 09:28:16 EDT 1996

> On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Russ Jury wrote:
>
> > I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting a little sick of the
> > nit-picking of trivial details.  This is supposed to be a place where
> > people can come for help and get problems solved.  It is about getting
> > something accomplished, rather than arguing if something is right or
> > not.  In short, if it works for what you want it to do, WHO CARES about
> > the details.  3 months from now, it will probably be changed, updated, or
> > possibly obsolete.

Details are important.  Paying attention to them can prevent you from
having to redo a lot of work.  A good example is in the documents I
created ove r the last two or three years of using HTML.  Somewhere
along the line I never realized that <LI> items should be in a <UL></UL>
or <OL></OL> envelope.  As the browsers have gotten stricter in their
compliance with HTML standards my older docuements are not displaying
correctly.  I am going back and making corrections in them when I get
the time.  If I had read the guides more closely I would't be doing that
now.

> > I know I'll be flamed for posting this, but someone has to try to get a
> > more positive attitude going here...  I just feel that there's a little
> > too much tension floating around...

What tension?  All I read was very reasoned and thought out discussion.
If you thought that was tense wait till you see a real flame war!!  This
group is very civil compared to other I belong to.  Take a look at the
HTML Writers Guild lists if you want heat and flame.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902