Hiring Librarians

H Rosenbaum hrosenba at indiana.edu
Mon Aug 26 18:24:44 EDT 1996

Scott,

I've been offline for a few days and just read your posting. I think
you might be surprised at what's going on in some LIS schools
(especially ours:  SLIS at Indiana University)

If you come calling at our place, you can find a growing group of library
and information science students who can't wait to start mixing traditional
and digital libraries. Our students are very familiar with HTML markup and
many go on to learn to configure server software, write scripts etc. We offer
an increasing number of courses that cover these and related topics.

For example, I've just finished teaching a course (L 547: The
Organizational Information Resource) where the students designed, built and
tested a prototype
for an Intranet that we intend to implement this fall!

The syllabus is at:

http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~hrosenba/L547/Syll1.html

The prototype is at:

http://recall.lib.indiana.edu/~intranet/toc2.html

Comments, brickbats welcome.

                Howard.

At 03.16 PM on 08.24.96, guthery at austin.sar.slb.com wrote:

> I've been on the otherside of trying to hire librarians.  We've realized that
> we need library science people to do technology watch and to organize our
> Intranet.
>
> 1) I've been greeted with a very, very cold shoulder by many library
>    science departments when I've come calling
>
> 2) many library science people don't see that "net books" are just
>    like real books and need the same care and attention ... even more so
>    and maybe with fresh approaches
>
> 3) many library science people want to "bunkerize" classical libraries
>    rather than mix them in with the web
>
> 4) many library science people shy away from jobs with a high
>    communication component
>
> 5) there are few courses in "off the shelf" library science curriculums
>    which deal with serving from and organizing web-based information
>
> It shouldn't surprise people that the going rate for even the best buggy whip
> maker isn't what it used to be.
>
> Cheers, Scott

~Howard Rosenbaum~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~hrosenba at indiana.edu~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~School of Library and Information Science~~~~
~~~~Indiana University~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~Bloomington, Indiana 47405-1801 USA~
~~~~~~812-855-5113 [Voice~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~812-855-6166 [Fax~~~~~~~~~~